The Temporary Greenhouse (Photographs From The Beginning Of The Season And Now)

The steel framed and plastic temporary greenhouse I purchased this year has proved a little disappointing.  Light levels were lower than in a glass greenhouse while humidity and consequent possibility of disease was higher.  I couldn’t stop the tomatoes going lanky and gave up in the end.  The structure itself is not that strong and I found I couldn’t put very many plants on the built in staging and even with a very modest number the greenhouse is leaning badly that side.  With hindsight it would have been better to have separate staging and also additional support for the main structure – or have no staging at all and use the greenhouse for cucumbers (who would appreciate the humidity) or similar plants.

Here is a photographic record of the growing year.  It has to be said that if I had had more time to spare I could have probably managed the plants and greenhouse a bit better.  I hope to do better next year!

The greenhouse in March

The greenhouse in March

At the beginning of June 1

At the beginning of June 1

At the beginning of June 2

At the beginning of June 2

The greenhouse in the middle of August

The greenhouse in the middle of August

Advertisements

End Of Summer Greenhouses – Addendum

I took out all the tomatoes, peppers etc. from my lean-to last weekend – it is now officially the end of the summer!

I also unceremoniously cut off the annual climbers – they would have struggled on but it was probably a lost cause.  I then rearranged the staging and filled up the top with sundry winter/spring flowering monocotyledons and the bottom with dying off summer flowering plants. A photo below of work in progress.

Let us hope we have a mild winter as I still haven’t insulated some of the greenhouses yet!

The Greenhouses Post Potting – First Batch Of Photographs

I meant to post this last week but pressure of work prevented me from doing so.  I will try and post garden updates more regularly if I can make the necessary changes to my daily schedules.

Below are a handful of photographs of my plants and the changes to the greenhouses now that most of the potting has been done.  I didn’t do the cactus/mesembryanthemum house but photographs are included anyway – hopefully they wont be too boring!

Part of left staging in the Succulent House

Part of the left staging in the Succulent House, This greenhouse concentrates on members of the Crassula family plus Aloes, Haworthias, Gasterias etc. under the staging.

Part of the right staging in the Succulent House

Part of the right staging in the Succulent House

Part of the left staging in the Cacti/Mesembryanthemum House

Part of the left staging in the Cacti/Mesembryanthemum House. This has most of what is left of my cacti collection with members of the Agave family underneath.

Part of the right staging of the Cacti/Mesembryanthemum House

Part of the right staging of the Cacti/Mesembryanthemum House. This has most of what is left of my mesemb collection with xerophytic bromeliads underneath.

Part of the left staging of the Mixed House

Part of the left staging of the Mixed House. This is mainly Crassulaceae and Euphorbias with epiphytic cactus (the few I have left) immediately underneath.

Part of the right staging of the Mixed House

Part of the right staging of the Mixed House. This has a large range of plant families including Crassulas and Euphorbias and a range of caudiciform succulents. There is a small number of orchids underneath.

The partly cleared Lean-To

The partly cleared Lean-To which will house tomatoes, peppers etc, during the summer and half hardy succulents and other plants during the winter months.

The outdoor staging (novel concept this!)

The outdoor staging (novel concept this!) which has a small number of half hardy succulents at the moment.