Hello again! Sorry for the very protracted break but pressure of work meant the garden has been neglected for an exceptionally long time. Nor have I done any wildlife conservation work since 2012. Consequently this blog has been rather put on the back burner of late but I do now intend to make amends.
I am slowly beginning to get on top of all the greenhouse potting, partly be reducing the number of plants – more of this anon – but the garden itself has gone extremely wild! The photographs illustrate what was originally intended to be a wild garden but I which I had planned to turn into an area for fruit; despite there being two gooseberries hidden among the alkanet I think the wild garden concept has probably won!
Wild garden turned into fruit garden turned into wild garden!
Further to yesterday’s post here are a couple of photographs of the garden around 2004/2005 -they are very similar but I thought I might as well include both. As you see I had dug up the lawn (although my wife eventually got tired of the gravel and I had to replace it!).
I changed this design about a year after this photo was taken and got rid of the centre path and then planted a large mixed border sweeping right round from the bottom greenhouse (by then I had erected four) effectively cutting the garden in half – however I soon found that the dog went straight through this border, breaking all and sundry in the process – in the end I had to put in a path just for her which completely ruined the design!
We have three ponds in the garden: a small wildlife pond in the wildlife garden at the top of the garden, a slightly larger ornamental pond (in theory anyway) half way down and the fish pond at the bottom of the garden in between two patio areas. Both patio areas need relaying as I put the slabs down temporarily and then left them!
The wildlife pond is silted up - it is actually too small and I plan to at least deepen it, although I may well enlarge it, this year or next.
The ornamental pond is far from ornamental and needs planting from scratch. It is in a hollow after I got over enthusiastic when digging the hole.
The fish pond was greatly enlarged last year with a huge new filter incorporated. Unfortunately the UV bulb has gone (the device repeatedly gave me a shock anyway) and I plan to add a second filter with new UV lamp as soon as possible. We did once have waterlilies but the koi ate them; ditto all other plants!
We have three ponds in the garden: one, easily the largest, is dedicated my wife’s collection of fish; another is supposed to be the ornamental pond but it needs replanting at the moment, and the smallest at the top of the garden is used as a wildlife pond. This actually now needs remaking and planting afresh and is bereft of plants at the present time. It attracts a lot of frogs and I have had spawn for about the last ten days – however the mortality rate tends to be high.