Hello again! Sorry for the very protracted break but pressure of work meant the garden has been neglected for an exceptionally long time. Nor have I done any wildlife conservation work since 2012. Consequently this blog has been rather put on the back burner of late but I do now intend to make amends.
I am slowly beginning to get on top of all the greenhouse potting, partly be reducing the number of plants – more of this anon – but the garden itself has gone extremely wild! The photographs illustrate what was originally intended to be a wild garden but I which I had planned to turn into an area for fruit; despite there being two gooseberries hidden among the alkanet I think the wild garden concept has probably won!
I am still not making a good enough effort of writing posts for this blog – apologies but I hope things will get better once I get into it again. Here are some photographs of the little lean-to taken in June and August. Like the temporary house this greenhouse is now devoted to conventional pot plants although I have potted some of my largest and long neglected Dioscoreas and placed them along the back wall.
My remaining three greenhouses are devoted to succulents with space on the lower stagings and ground for bulbs. The top house is devoted to Crassulacea with Haworthias and Gasterias under the staging; the large house to cactus and miscellaneous succulent families including the Agaves and Bromeliads and the smallest one to the Mesemb family. More about all of these in due course.
The steel framed and plastic temporary greenhouse I purchased this year has proved a little disappointing. Light levels were lower than in a glass greenhouse while humidity and consequent possibility of disease was higher. I couldn’t stop the tomatoes going lanky and gave up in the end. The structure itself is not that strong and I found I couldn’t put very many plants on the built in staging and even with a very modest number the greenhouse is leaning badly that side. With hindsight it would have been better to have separate staging and also additional support for the main structure – or have no staging at all and use the greenhouse for cucumbers (who would appreciate the humidity) or similar plants.
Here is a photographic record of the growing year. It has to be said that if I had had more time to spare I could have probably managed the plants and greenhouse a bit better. I hope to do better next year!
I am beginning to get into the garden now so hopefully I will have something to post from now on. I am very sorry for the hiatus. Unfortunately I didn’t do any wildlife conservation work this winter because of lack of time so I haven’t had anything to report in this regard either.
Someone gave me an aluminium glass greenhouse at the end of last year but before I actually got round to putting it up they wanted it back again (that will teach me to put jobs off!) so I bought myself a cheap plastic temporary greenhouse to use for bedding and pot plants.
Anyway, here is the new greenhouse prior to me getting plants inside. I was going to use the right hand side for tomatoes in summer and chrysanthemums in the autumn but I think I will have to get a staging for this side too.
I have finally settled on placing the new greenhouse towards the end of the mixed border quite near the large wooden greenhouse (putting it here means I can align it north south which is preferable to east west). However before reaching this decision I weighed up a large number of possible sites, all of which are illustrated below – apologies in advance for the weeds!